Students have many changes throughout their time at school. At CPPS, we aim to ease this process with support and a variety of activities depending on the age of the child.
Year Six students are partnered with Foundation students in our ‘Madeline and Alannah Foundation Buddy Program’. Involvement in this program continues all year and is enjoyed by both Year 6 and Foundation students as they learn together making, creating, dressing up and sharing lunches together.
Transition between year levels.
- Some students find moving from the Junior School into the Middle School or from the Middle School into the Senior School quite daunting. During Term 4, opportunities are provided to students to spend time into the rooms/area they will move into the following year.
- Students from Year 1 to 6 are involved in our Daily Fitness Program. Students are mixed into multi-age groups and often have a different teacher taking their group, enabling students to have regular contact with teachers other than their classroom teacher.
Transition to Secondary School.
- Year 5 students attend a “Discovery Day” at Westernport Secondary College where they become more familiar with the layout of the College and life in a secondary school.
- Teachers from Westernport work in the 5/6 area, getting to know the students.
- Year 6 students attend Westernport Secondary College for at least 2 transition days in Term 3 and 4 where they meet their teachers and classmates.
- CPPS Year 6 teachers liaise with the Secondary School teachers at a number of meetings prior to the end of each year. This ensures the secondary college is aware of the learning needs and relevant information for each child.
Defence Force Children.
Our current DSM aide, Melissa Hockey works closely with all ADF students and their families arriving at or leaving our school.